Sunday, July 17, 2011

A life every day


It takes me a while to stop the noise. I spend most of my life in the city, shuffling between Union Square, Central Park, the Lower East Side and Chelsea Piers. I'm hooked on the energy of New York. Still, I find myself drawn to the quiet, meditative escape of the ocean. Once there, I try to slow down, listen to the wind and the feel the warmth of the sun. I stop and let my senses absorb the new environment. Eventually, I find myself relaxing, finally able to breathe deeply again.

This weekend was a real challenge for me. Thoughts of the future and the past wouldn't stop buzzing around my head. I couldn’t enjoy the beautiful view or the company of those I care about. I just couldn’t stop the noise! Then, I read this:

“There's only one reason why you're not experiencing bliss at this present moment, and it's because you're thinking of what you don't have.... But, right now you have everything you need to be in bliss.”—Anthony de Mello

6 Steps to living a life every day
May you be born every morning and die every night, having lived a full life.
1. Have a quiet moment every day
It doesn’t have to be a full-on meditation session, just a few moments remembering your blessings and things that make you happy. Yes, on some days it will be a challenge to find the time, but the benefits are worth the investment.

2. Breathe deeply
Breathe through your nose and allow your breath to travel all the way down to the lower lobes of your lungs, just below your belly button. Feel yourself become relaxed and grounded. Take 10 of these breaths just before you fall asleep at night and right after you wake up.

3. Practice gratitude
Before you open your eyes in the morning, think of five things for which you are grateful. During the day, carry out actions that show your gratitude to others.

4. Smile
This one’s easy, right? A study by the Dental Health Foundation showed that smiling can significantly improve your mood and give you a sense of well-being.

5. Hug and kiss someone
Do it like you mean it. According to family therapist Virginia Satir, “We need four hugs a day for survival. We need eight hugs a day for maintenance. We need 12 hugs a day for growth.”

6. Take a picture of something beautiful every day
Years ago, my friend, James Altucher, gave me this piece of advice as a part of my plan for success. It has brought me much happiness and satisfaction, and I still do it daily.